Minutes:Meeting Minutes 20240206

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Minutes for 2024-02-06

Meeting Location

Meeting was Called to Order At: 7:34P

Hybrid Meeting Etiquette

  • Be excellent.
  • Attendance and voting can be found in the #meetings slack channel.
  • Please show up early if you are concerned about your audio.
  • If there is no one waiting to speak feel free to do so at the next opportunity.
  • If there is someone waiting to speak, please say that you are raising your hand in the google call chat. (This will be demonstrated)
  • Please refrain from other side conversations, these can be distracting for the rest of the meeting and make it difficult for the chair to keep track of what's going on.
  • If you're in the space remember that having a single person speaking at a time is helpful for those attending online.


Experienced Members

  • MattA introduces self as a super-classic member. Points out the new info-box area where the games were.
  • DaveS introduces self as a less-classic member.

New Members & Guests

  • Brenda is in the process of becoming a member and is moving forward with the process!
  • Cameron is becoming a member and loves 3D printing. He showed off an awesome 3-color NASA print.
  • JoeT likes screen printing, made his shirt. :)
  • EricB wants to weld. Yeah buddy!
  • ReemA wants to learn sewing!
  • RichardW is a frequent guest and is learning welding!

Show and Tell

  • DaveS talks about "infozone"/info-box as a 1. wiki access terminal and 2. issue-tracking terminal.

Old Business

  • None

Outstanding Action Items

New Business

Upcoming Events

Tuesday, February 6 7:30pm
In Person / Virtual Member Meeting

Wednesday, February 7 6:15pm 
The Importance of RISC-V open source instruction set architecture (ISA) by Jason Kridner (Classroom)

Thursday, February 8 7:00pm 
Ferndale Garden Club Winter Sowing (Commons)

Friday, February 9 6:30pm 
In-Person Friday Night Tours!

Tuesday, February 13 7:06pm 
Memberification & Treasurer Paperwork Party

Friday, February 16 6:30pm 
In-Person Friday Night Tours!

Saturday, February 17 1:00pm 
Royal Oak Garden Club Winter Sowing (Commons)

Tuesday, February 20 7:30pm 
[Virtual] Board Meeting

Friday, February 23 6:30pm
In-Person Friday Night Tours!

Saturday, February 24 12:00pm 
Jewelry Zone- Pendant With Stone Setting Class (Day 1 of 2)

Sunday, February 25 12:00pm 
Jewelry Zone- Pendant With Stone Setting Class (Day 2 of 2)

Friday, March 1 6:30pm
In-Person Friday Night Tours!
Friday, March 1 7:00pm
Tabletop Gaming Night

Tuesday, March 5 7:30pm
In Person / Virtual Member Meeting

i3's storage and communication problems

Topic 1: Considerations on "How Large Project Storage can be improved through a more effective 'Parking' Ticket Process"

  • Discussion of desired changes to parking permit and parking ticket process -- there's a desire to take tickets private, direct to the email on the incorrect permit.
    • What about the time stamp? There's a risk of property disposal with the ticketing process, it IS a consequence and given resources, should be. We have emails to the list for the timestamp of that notice, keeping all accountable and informed, in the event of expiration and removal of property. Taking it private puts that public accountability at risk.
    • Even if the owner is known, a parking ticket serves as a public notice. The intent is not to shame, it's to inform. The only penalty is later, if it is ignored and the property disposed.
    • A ticket is seen as punitive. Is it the fault of the ticket, or the viewpoint holder? This is the subject of space at i3, a limited resource. Is a ticket supposed to be friendly? Or can we agree as a community to take this seriously and be excellent?
    • Other changes to process include more permit categories/different colors for areas and duration. How can we make it easier? Because it is not working. Too many are getting it incorrect -- wrong form, expired, unapproved, in the wrong place. Tickets take time to write and they just make people mad. Is that why few seem to enforce storage permits, abandoned property?
  • Discussion about gridlock in large project storage -- where is large project storage? It needs prominent signage.
    • Expired permits. Unsuccessful attempts to get member attention. How hard do we try?
    • Plus some type of effort needs to be made to inform all members new and old, what the approved locations for storage is, how things may be stored, how member storage works, etc.
    • The space is becoming a dumping ground for all sorts of things in just about every area of the building.
  • This also opens additional general discussion about how people feel about reminders/discussions/tickets/posts about these not-so-positive aspects of community workspace.
    • How do you feel about this discussion here, how do you feel about it on slack, on the list?
    • Do "parking ticket" emails leave a negative feeling with you about i3, or do you see it as others helping the space?
    • Should we rename the ticket? Change the color to be less negative?
    • Space remains a precious resource, and it seems we're not doing everything we can to keep personal property under control.
    • a hint is that many who attempt to help often describe it as a "thankless task". It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. We are penalizing people who help, with an amount of criticism that discourages further work, while protecting communication channels from negative energy.
    • Is the negative energy on the email list real or imagined? Do you have feedback data?
    • What is it for if we can't communicate everything there is to share in this community experience?
    • How can we all be better to each other on the subject of personal property?

  • Topic 1 discussion is had by: JanH, MattA, MarkF, DaveS, PaulL, EvanG.
  • It is mentioned that it could be easier to issue tickets.
  • It is mentioned that it could be less confrontational to issue tickets.
  • It is mentioned that it could be less burdensome to issue tickets.
  • It is mentioned that we must prioritize our commitment to respect personal property and not graveyard items too quickly.
  • It is noted that parking tickets (in the current configuration) *must* be sent to everyone, or else we have no way of verifying that a person was given the opportunity to remedy their infringing assets.
  • It is mentioned that i3 emails go to spam for a lot of people.
  • It is mentioned that there are opportunities to improve our email deliverability.
  • It is mentioned that members can be provided education/guidance on how to white-list i3-related emails.

Topic 2: Considerations for "How to enable expressions between members that are: Effective, Constructive, and Well-Received"

  • Camera reviews vs WHO DID THIS -- it should be acknowledged that camera reviews, instead of a message requesting responsibility as first step, make work for those doing the reviews.
    • It may save the list and channels from WHO DID THIS, but puts the burden on the reviewers to scan hours of video, sometimes giving up and sometimes not being able to identify the faces.
    • Door records can be used but what is wrong with asking?
    • We are weighing people's sensitivities to channel content, against the efforts of others who may also be clearing the space/cleaning it up.
    • Does doing thankless work clearing/cleaning endless effects of others make people quit, or does negative discussion? What is your priority to protect?

  • Topic 2 discussion is had by: MarkF, DaveS, MattA.
  • It is mentioned that it would be nice to not have to request a camera review in order to communicate about the "Shared Space". (Sec. note: I'm coining capital-S "Shared Space")
  • It is mentioned that communicating directly is acceptable.
  • It is mentioned that a template for "The Best Words to Use" might be useful for common types of expressions; like a template for effectively communicating in a healthy way "Who Did This?" (Sec. note: e.g. Tools left out of place/outside, not cleaning up after one's self, or any other infringing on another's fair and reasonable use of the Space)

Glass Zone Considerations; Food for Thought

  • Discussion is had by: MattA, PaulL, DaveS, MarkF
  • MattA mentions that BSide Office (Lobby 2) could be used for Glass Zone. It seems like a pretty good fit.
  • PaulL supports that ASide (Lobby 1) is a better side to come in to (e.g. tours, guests, delivery). Lobby 1 can be made really nice and it's a good setup.
  • DaveS agrees. Also, if exhausting is desired, it's available through the exterior cinderblock wall in BSide Office (Lobby 2). The hole already exists.
  • MarkF mentions Glass Zone consideration/vote should be put on Board Meeting agenda if a timely vote by the directors is desired.

Improvements to Commons

  • MattA discusses installing audio recording support in Commons for future use. Exciting!

Thoughts on two Member Meetings per month?

  • Discussed by: DaveS, MarkF, PaulL, MattH, MattA
  • There used to be two Member Meetings per month
  • When there were so many groups, it was a 'scalability feature' to have 2 meetings per month, and groups would report on different days in order to not over-extend meeting length.
  • It was mentioned that the second Member Meeting was more like a "Fun Meeting" (social)
  • Another event could be scheduled on a regular basis, non-voting, not-a-meeting; (Show and Tell, Hang Out, Discuss, Improve)

Zone updates

Automotive Zone

  • n/a

Bicycle Shop

  • n/a

Ceramics Zone

  • n/a


  • n/a

CNC Zone

  • n/a

Commons Area

  • Treehouse is a lounge space again. There are some additional seating coming and another tree, and plans to make a leafy canopy overhead with twinkly lights.
  • Games moved from commons area to main lounge.
  • JanH, MattA, DaveS comment on this.
  • It is mentioned that this happened during PotLock 2024-01-27. (Sec. note: While reserving that i3 is a TEAM effort; it's appropriate to recognize JanH (and KevinF, and LewD) who worked hard and considerately to organize the action of moving Vinyl, Leather, and Craft. MattA, StevenY, DaveS, and LaurenY carried Leather down, and RichardW cleaned treehouse; it was a beautiful effort.)
  • (Sec. note: Work hard, play hard! Being comfortable and working hard are not mutually exclusive. :) Healthy mind, healthy body, beautiful work; Imagine, Innovate, Inspire; this is the Invitation.)

Craft Room

  • Vinyl zone now lives in the new Craft room. It will stay its own zone. Right now it's in a temporary spot within the zone while construction continues.
  • Buildout continues Wednesday Feb 7. Three people are needed to help prep the wall/wash for painting: up in the genie, below on the ground and stairs, and a runner with buckets. If this is complete Wednesday and if we get paint supplies for the wall (a blue for the top portion and white for the rest of the wall) before Saturday, then Saturday we could paint, with probably a similarly sized crew. The wall it shares with Sewing room isn't ready for paint yet.
  • We could also build the partial wall at the south end, while the wall is drying.
  • A glimpse of the order might be: wash, wall build, paint, conduit/wiring, and as areas in Craft are ready, we can start to move stuff over. Which relieves the bottleneck in other areas of the space.
  • Kevin has some ideas for table/work surfaces. If you have the skills and interest in helping to build work surfaces for craft, please see Kevin.

Electronics Lab

  • n/a

Fab Lab

  • n/a

Glass Zone

  • n/a


  • n/a

Injection Molding

  • n/a

Jewelry Zone

  • n/a

Kitchen Zone

  • n/a

Laser Zone

  • n/a

Leather Zone

  • Leather Zone is now on the main floor, in the old vinyl spot.
  • Setup is a work in progress, maybe even some classes coming.
  • MattA made an awesome zone sign for Leather.

Machine Shop

  • n/a

Media Lab

  • n/a

Sewing Zone

  • Next work is installing the conduit in the sewing room, so the drywall has been left unfinished in that area. So that's where we're at, this week.
  • Cathy has been working on the drywall mudding, but she's recuperating with a cold so there's a little pause on that for now. Will continue to post updates in the expansion channel.
  • We can start anytime to construct the embroidery work station and the two cutting tables, and ironing table. If you have the skill and interest in helping David H build work surfaces for sewing, please see David H.

Tool Crib

  • n/a

Vinyl Zone

  • Is now living in the Craft Room as an independent zone. (ie its own box and budget, ZoCo). Electric is temporary hookup with extension cord.

Welding Zone

  • n/a


  • n/a

Wood Shop

  • n/a

Space Project Updates

  • n/a



  • n/a


  • n/a


  • n/a


  • n/a

Combat Robotics

  • n/a


  • n/a



Cowbell by MattA

Broom Party!

Action Item Summary

No action items.

Proposal Summary

No proposals.

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 8:27P


MattAr (Chair)
DaveSm (Secretary)
HansCh (on-site meeting guru)
ReemAl (sp?)

Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Meeting Minutes 20240102 Meeting Minutes 20240305