Minutes:Meeting Minutes 20230404

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Minutes for 04-04-2023

Meeting Location


https://i3detroit.org/hangout and at i3Detroit (classroom)

Meeting was Called to Order At: 19:23

Hybrid Meeting Etiquette

  • Be excellent.
  • Attendance and voting can be found in the #meetings slack channel.
  • Please show up early if you are concerned about your audio.
  • If there is no one waiting to speak feel free to do so at the next opportunity.
  • If there is someone waiting to speak, please say that you are raising your hand in the google call chat. (This will be demonstrated)
  • Please refrain from other side conversations, these can be distracting for the rest of the meeting and make it difficult for the chair to keep track of what's going on.
  • If you're in the space remember that having a single person speaking at a time is helpful for those attending online.


Experienced Members

  • Mel G
    • Advocate. Has a face!
  • A’Lisa K
    • VP. In Seattle. Does stuff. Dirty stuff. Dirty Sewing stuff.
      • (question from Sarah)“Are there spare cords for “the big sewing thing?” - (answer) Try Sewing Machine dot com
  • Han C
    • Started the meeting thread, lol. Longtime returning member!

New Members & Guests

  • Jeff -
    • Phase 2 onboarding.
      • Mel says can memberify on Friday at tours
    • Builds small steam engine models, machining toolmaker by trade.
  • Taylor Norman -
    • Phase 1, just a week in
    • Machine shop and welding, wants to machine their own golf putters
  • Works in the aerospace industry
  • Shannon Burke -
    • Just moved in in January
    • Phase 1 - Hard to get ahold of people, so frustrating!!
    • Professional dabbler
      • Sewing stuff,
      • 3d printing
    • Moving in from Miami, though pre pandemic was a member of MakeHaven in New Haven
  • Sarah
    • Community sponsorship,
    • inventor,
    • business owner,
      • first storefront for elevated art therapy, byob community craft together paraphernalia……
    • And Other Stuff!

Show and Tell

  • Sarah - Making magazines!
  • Matt A - in progress: Pulley and a hook to go on the wall by the Paint Zone, to hang the puppet-in-progress & get it out of the way.
  • Hans - Trying to create a motivational t-shirt. It’s very BASIC. (Visual joke. Ask Hans. You'll laugh.)

Old Business

  • Anybody? Anything? Really, nothing?

Outstanding Action Items

  • Nothing anybody remembers, except for all the ongoing stuff like expansion...

New Business

Upcoming Events

  • Volunteers to host upcoming Friday tours?
    • Matt A. can't make it this week...
    • Jody plans to be around
    • Mel planning to help do member stuff.

i3 B Side Open House

  • Date set to May 20
    • May 13 - Cleaning and setup
    • Initial work at April 15 PotLock
    • Clean up day on May 21, if needed
    • What hours for the open house?
    • Start time and how long?
      • Discussion: 4 hour primary block, 13:00 to 17:00
  • Need volunteers to start working on Open House
    • Marketing!
    • Press Release!
    • MEDC/Patronicity have been notified, but would like to know if there will be speaking opportunity...
    • City? Chamber of Commerce?
    • Zone and project demos needed
    • See email for list of things that need attention
    • General discussion on Slack, #open_house
    • James O'Dell is coordinating thing like a BOSS!

Zone updates

Automotive Zone

  • n/a

Bicycle Shop

  • n/a

Ceramics Zone

  • n/a


  • n/a

CNC Zone

  • n/a

Commons Area

  • n/a

Craft Room

  • n/a

Electronics Lab

  • n/a

Fab Lab

  • n/a

Glass Zone

  • n/a


  • n/a

Injection Molding

  • n/a

Jewelry Zone

  • n/a

Kitchen Zone

  • n/a

Laser Zone

  • n/a

Leather Loft

  • n/a

Machine Shop

  • n/a

Media Lab

  • Large format printer isn't working, according to reports. Matt A. intends to see that it gets back into working order.

Sewing Zone

  • n/a

Tool Crib

  • n/a

Vinyl Zone

  • n/a

Welding Zone

  • Hasn't burned down yet
  • Forge zone getting floorspace, mostly from Welding
    • Alex Tsuker leading on Forge


  • n/a

Wood Shop

  • n/a

Space Project Updates

  • Evan did a bunch of wiring recently
  • Jody replaced some air filters
  • Pain Zone is getting walls and stuff



  • n/a


  • n/a


  • There was a question about this. Discussion of how it is being rolled into Craft, once floorspace expansion allows.
  • Several people confirmed that the cart and equipment still exists.


  • Has parts for the FANUC build, trying to schedule work but busyBusy!
    • Planning to make a mobile cart.


  • n/a


  • n/a



Action Item Summary

No action items.

Proposal Summary

No proposals.

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 20:04
  • Attendees: 11 ish (might have missed one or two on the virtual)


  1. Chair: Matt Arnold
  2. Secretary: Jody Raiford, under duress
  3. In Attendance:
    • Hans Chen
    • James O'Dell
    • A’Lisa Krawciw
    • Sarah Grieve
    • Mel Gilchrist
    • Jeff (new)
    • Taylor (new)
    • Hanna (new)
    • Drew Lanagan

Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Meeting Minutes 20230307 Meeting Minutes 20230502