Minutes:Meeting Minutes 20231107

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Minutes for 11-07-2023

Meeting Location

Meeting was Called to Order At: 7:30P

https://i3detroit.org/hangout and at i3Detroit

Hybrid Meeting Etiquette

  • Be excellent.
  • Attendance and voting can be found in the #meetings slack channel.
  • Please show up early if you are concerned about your audio.
  • If there is no one waiting to speak feel free to do so at the next opportunity.
  • If there is someone waiting to speak, please say that you are raising your hand in the google call chat. (This will be demonstrated)
  • Please refrain from other side conversations, these can be distracting for the rest of the meeting and make it difficult for the chair to keep track of what's going on.
  • If you're in the space remember that having a single person speaking at a time is helpful for those attending online.


Experienced Members

  • Members introduce themselves and speak about their passions and interests.

New Members & Guests

  • Members introduce themselves and speak about what they're interested in.

Show and Tell

  • AnnMarie - made an engagement ring
  • FrankA - led base with engraved laser acrylic on wolverine

Old Business

  • none

Outstanding Action Items

New Business

Upcoming Events

  • Volunteers to host upcoming Friday tours.
  • Up coming Events Calendar

A-Side HVAC Repair

  • HVAC system for A-side office: Repair Discussion (Hans)
  • Background: Currently, the HVAC system for A-side offices is not working. This means that there is no gas-powered heat (along with fresh air) for the elab, media zone, classroom, and craft room. As Winter's colder temperatures arrive, if our heating system is not repaired, this means expensive electric space heaters will likely be used as substitute. Some members have investigated and believe that just a wiring harness will need to be replaced. We should try to figure out how to plan for this to be fixed before colder temperatures arrive. Placing this as a meeting agenda topic for a brief discussion, 5 to 10-minute discussion, so that we can discuss coordinating repair and get volunteers to support as needed.

(Secretary's Note: This was fixed voluntarily by DaveS. Hans gifted him chocolates.)

Layout Proposal from Jewelry

[Images Unreceived]

Camera Review was done on 2023-10-27

DaveS: The requested time was 2023-10-26 6P - 7P. Safety review committee should be instantiated; also a camera tuning committee.

Zone updates

Automotive Zone

  • none

Bicycle Shop

  • n/a

Ceramics Zone

  • none


  • none

CNC Zone

  • none

Commons Area

  • none

Craft Room

  • none

Electronics Lab

  • none

Fab Lab

  • none

Glass Zone

  • none


  • none

Injection Molding

  • none

Jewelry Zone

  • none

Kitchen Zone

  • n/a

Laser Zone

  • n/a

Leather Loft

  • n/a

Machine Shop

  • n/a

Media Lab

  • n/a

Sewing Zone

  • The plan is for Lew to attempt fixing the timing of the industrial Singer and show interested members how to fix it, paving the way for more people to become trainers and repair folk on the industrial machines.
  • Greg Good and Jen Nagle remain trainers on the embroidery machine, with possible others joining the team in the future.
  • We have some new additions to our pattern library. If you're going to use a pattern, please trace it off for yourself to make your adjustments etc, preserving the original for others. Also, pattern tissue can be ironed and folded and ironed, if you're having trouble with getting it back in the envelope.

Please ask for help if needed. Do not ball it up and leave it for others.

  • Buildout report is in the space projects section.

Tool Crib

  • none

Vinyl Zone

  • none

Welding Zone

  • none


  • none

Wood Shop

  • none

Space Project Updates

  • Expansion: sewing room - We had a solid crew on Sunday, the most at any time, so far. Thus we had several projects going on simultaneously and got quite a bit done: Installed conduit and boxes for network cables. Covered and insulated old window opening to paint shop. Added more drywall to west inside wall. Added more fire compartment to east wall. The next building day scheduled is Sunday November 12. I cancelled this Wednesday as several builders will be unavailable. Looking ahead, Sewing Room is waiting on a new breaker box, to do more wiring and finish the west drywall.
  • Expansion: lounge -- couches have shown up. In order to do something with them, should their placement be set in the space designated for the lounge? At any rate, it needs one or more volunteers to take the floor plan and translate it into yellow floor markings (seen in every other zone without walls) so there's a boundary of the lounge and what's in it. And what's in it should be marked as part of lounge. It might be silly to mark a couch with green tape.... until you realize the graveyard is next door. We have to guard lounge from becoming an extension of the graveyard. After the floor marks, anything in the area that is not lounge, needs a new spot.

So bottom line, lounge can probably exist, with the caveat that some of it may need to shift periodically as construction needs of craft room dictate.

  • Expansion: ELab -- do we have an update on the furnace relocation?
    • There are plans.



  • n/a


  • n/a


  • n/a


  • n/a

Combat Robotics

  • n/a


  • n/a


  • n/a


MattH rang the bell.

Action Item Summary

No action items.

Proposal Summary

No proposals.

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 8:29P


















Chair: MattA

Secretary: DaveS

Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Meeting Minutes 20231003 Meeting Minutes 20231205