Minutes:Meeting Minutes 20181204

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search


Agenda for 12-04-2018

Chair: Vivian

Introductions

Experienced Members

  • Matt Carpenter: is VP of membership and a board member.
  • Alec Beardsley: member advocate, common zone coordinator, board game nights 1st and 3rd Thursday evening (That’s this week! Thursday the 6th).
  • Emily: introduced canine member Girlfriend Lardner, who was fully in attendance.

New Members & Guests

  • Con: Been here 2 weeks, visited 4 times.
  • Rufus: Machinist for 20 some years, found us on meetup, met Jeff, built a computer with him, he showed him around, he's gone to CNC class, brought his wife here on "Sunday... wait, no, the day before yesterday." Someone said"...yeah, Sunday" to laughs all around.
  • Vanessa: Zone coordinator for ceramics side of kiln zone, was on hiatus for a few years but is now back.
  • Keith: Magician and Comedian, has accent, made joke, makes props, wandered in on a Friday night. For Keith, i3 is a wonderful playground come to life.
  • Ben: was in the membership process at the time of note taking, but is a full member as of press time. He does electronics stuff and laser cutting.

Show and Tell

  • Steve Nowicki had an impressive spread of shows. He made a music box for his great-grandniece and Jessica finally painted it. He also made his sister made a banana hanger, and she just upgraded from a flip phone so he made this pretty rad stand for smart phones that was on a key chain. He insinuated he had more of these. Also made a tool for doing offsets and setting up corners on the CNC machine.
  • Vivian Sanders makes charcuterie and cutting boards. She has a studio in New Center and doesn’t waste wood. She lets the pieces of wood inform the shape of her projects. Thomas and Vivian gave a successful woodshop class on cutting boards, and will be giving another that will include instruction on how to make charcuterie boards. In case anyone was wondering, charcuterie boards are used to serve meat and cheese, but can also have other functions, whereas a cutting board usually stays in the kitchen. Wants to include charcuterie boards in the class because they are easier, good for the allotted class time, and are used more often. Vivian then passed around 2 examples of her boards in progress.

Old Business

  • Jody: The Board sent out 2019 budget request sheets to Zone Coordinators. Members can and should tell zone coordinators what they’d like to see in various zones. Visit the zone coordinator channel on slack.

New Business

Member Dues

  • Look for a survey about dues soon, best to get this done before the budget meeting next week.

Holiday i3 Tree

  • Emily: Coping Cabana! Guys! Get it? A fort of sorts, the Coping Cabana is special interest group/art installation/community space because winter is hard for a lot of us. It will involve at least 1 tree, some couches, a fireplace and a Persian rug. Alec asked Emily to send an email about it because we did appropriate square footage in front of the white board for an installation, so look out for that.
  • Jan: We should have a maker tree! decorate it with things for sale, and Vivian: we all go outside to sell our wares, let’s sell them here! Emily: guys we should also has mini exhibit of things for sale (maybe on Friday the 21st? Solstice?). Do we have a tree? Jan: We do have a fake tree. Jody: We could make a tree! 4 sides, ya know -- aluminum, wood, fabric, acrylic…

Board Notes

Mel: The Board is considering raising dues because we haven’t raised them in a long time. i3 also hasn’t had paid regular rent increases for the past couple years, but there will be one on the first of the year.

The Board received an email from Brad (the owner of B. Nektar) that they will be out of the space next door [TSND] by the end of January. Although there has been a lot of lore about i3 expanding into TSND, this is the first time we’ve seen it in writing that TSND will be vacated. This will also be more expensive.

The Board will seek input from membership, because bylaw changes need 2/3 membership vote and board approval. There could also be an option for partial scholarships – if a member couldn’t afford the increase, per se.

Upcoming Events

  • James O’Dell: let’s have an NYE party! Monday the 31st 8pm til 2am, mad science theme, we will have lots of cardboard to make swords, shields, forts, whatever. We also had 100 test tubes donated. Someone: something funny. Jody: are we gonna have a DJ? James: I’m not asking for money. We can self-DJ.
  • i3 Inspired New Year's Eve Party!!!

Date/Time: 12/31/2018 - 8 pm -> 2 am

Location: i3Detroit

The theme is Mad Science!!! We will be making things with cardboard and SCIENCE!!

Break out your lab coats and bubbly test tubes.

Questions? Contact: James ODell Slack: jamesodell macodis@gmail.com

Important: Safety Incident

  • There was a major slip and fall in the space – don’t feel comfortable giving out names. That person now has a steel rod in their hip. No matter if you think and injury is big or small, always stop and ask someone if they are ok. This happened during a regularly scheduled board game night. Alec, who runs that event was quick to respond and report what happened to the available board and officers.
  • We are doing floor leveling. That’s reason that carts are stored where they are, because that area of the floor isn’t safe. Talk to Mark more about floor leveling.

Zone updates

Bicycle Shop

  • n/a

Classroom

  • New chairs donated by Dave Henry. Dave asks Alec Beardsley if we have too many chairs and Alec says “eh.” David: Don’t ruin the chairs. Matt Carpenter: If you teach a class, return the chairs. Alec: Put chairs back. Put everything back! Matt: Are chairs labeled with the zone they belong to? David: Alec and I were talking about that. Alec: Label all the things!!!

CNC Zone

  • n/a

Commons Area

  • Alec: We’re working numbers for budget for new tables for common space. We are making them. They will have steel tube frames and legs and maple butcher-block style tops, so we should be able to sand them down every couple years. Thomas Tusano is making the tops and Jody is welding the legs.

Compute Zone

  • n/a

Craft Room

  • Jan Henry: we acquired a long flat file cabinet, donated by Jim Kemp, like architects and artists have. Kevin Flory (Co-ZC) showed it off, and is a formidable Vanna. Kevin: New acrylic paint (good for mixing) have been ordered. Jan: Researching serger repair and replacement options. New embroidery machine, still doing research. Will include these in budget. Are there any specific requests? Like for a button press. Is there a need for a 3 inch button press? Embroidery machine is back, screw is not compatible with the foot we use. Will be holding a screen printing workshop soon. Vanessa: Do we have the facilities? David: We’ve done it and have samples. There is stuff for it in the loft. Jan: Based on a request from someone who enjoyed Jody’s Intro to Welding class, Jan Henry would like to offer Intro to Sewing. It would be the overall aspects of sewing, because there is a lot to it. It would be like CNC preview or injection molding. Emily requests Intro to Mending workshop – hemming, holes, replacing buttons.
  • We are acquiring the file drawer unit and will be updating craft room storage soon.
  • New paints were ordered, not yet arrived.
  • Currently researching serger repair/replacement options, and a new embroidery machine. Making a budget estimate for roughly for what it would cost, since we don't have exact machines yet.
  • Are there other specific equipment requests members have for craft and sewing? We need to submit budget request, so get your requests in.
  • The embroidery machine repair resulted in the set screw we received, being incompatible with the special Q embroidery foot. Replacement parts have been ordered, so in the meantime, if you want to embroider, you can use the R foot we used for years prior to getting the Q foot.
  • whenisgood going out soon for screen printing workshop!
  • Also, a very basic intro to sewing is being considered. It would not involve any authorizations but would probably be similar to the CNC and injection molding previews. The challenge is knowing where to begin, as there is a lot of material to cover and it helps to be as focused as possible for new sewers. Please let Sewing know if you have specific requests for information so that we may have a starting point for those interested. Thank you.

Electronics Lab

  • Vivian read Nate B’s note: if you use the lab but haven’t registered your input, get on slack. Hot air rework unit went caput, thanks to Amelia Meyer for loaner, new one is in the mail. Thank you Charlie for pointing out the condition of the tweezers. New ones on the way.
  • Soliciting budget ideas! If you use the lab but haven't registered your input, get on Slack and scroll back!
  • Hot-air rework unit went kaput. Big thanks to Amelia Meyer for the loaner. New one is on order and should be in soon.
  • Thank you Charlie for pointing out the pathetic state of the tweezers. Lots of new tweezers have arrived and are in the bin.

Fab Lab

  • n/a

Graveyard

  • n/a

Infrastructure

  • n/a

Injection Molding

  • n/a

Jewelry Zone

  • n/a

Kiln Zone

  • Vanessa: has been adding glazes to kiln zone and also wants to have a stash of purchasable clay. She reworked price list. Just ordered infrared thermometers to tell interior temperature. Would like to get dedicated computer and extruder. Emily asks question about glaze (it’s cone 06) then more questions and Vanessa approximately answers: pump, storage bin, an extra sink, or we could use one of the current sink bays outfitted with a filter. Emily: we are so happy to have you! Vivian: last comment. I pipe down for a bit.
  • Glass kiln: Vivian asks if workshop is possible, Jody says: PEOPLE ASK! I’M HAPPY TO RUN ONE! Want new toys? Ask a zone coordinator for it so they can include it in their budget request.

Laser Zone

  • Bumblebee was down for a few days (see mailing list), but it's better now and there doesn't seem to be any permanent damage.
  • I'll be working on some better documentation on the particulars of how the laser should be set up, mainly things that aren't included in training because they aren't meant to be changed by anyone but can cause issues if they do end up wrong. This should also serve as the basis for an explicit list of things regular users should not touch because the implicit rule of "Don't fiddle with things you don't understand" may not be sufficient.
  • Vivian reads note from Mike Fink: Bumble Bee was down for a few days, see mailing list. The gist of it is: someone ran something, they hit the front of the door, it loosened the laser attachment, they tried to fix it by putting the laser guide back into the sleeve, and used a tool to fix it but that actually messed it up more. Mike says by note: if that happens, tighten it by hand. Vivian says: if something like that happens, get on slack and ask Mike. If something breaks or isn’t working the way it should, contact the zone coordinator. That’s what they are there for. Mike is working on a document about settings that you shouldn’t mess with.

Leather Loft

  • n/a

Machine Shop

  • n/a

Media Lab

  • n/a

Sky Zone

  • n/a

Tool Crib

  • n/a

Vinyl Zone

  • n/a

Welding Zone

  • Jody: I’ve taught a couple of classes, I’m running one this weekend [full], and there’s another one on the calendar, plus interest in classes after the new year. YAY welding! Welding zone has become place for juggling as well. Someone asked if they could make juggling batons and then learn to juggle.

Wiki

  • n/a

Wood Shop

  • n/a

Space Project Updates

  • n/a

SIGs

i3 Aerospace

  • n/a

MotorSports

  • New member Matt From: Power racing series i3 motorsports. Someone asks: Do you want to take it over? Matt From is gonna take over, he sees stuff up there and has stuff too. He approves this message.

HAM

  • n/a

Letterpress

  • n/a

Sewing

  • whenisgood going out soon for no-sew tutu class!
  • Wednesday sewing open sew night is tomorrow, 7-10 and Sew It's Sunday is on December 9.

U of M SSW Project

  • n/a

COWBELL

Broom Party

Lost & Found Party

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 8:26
  • Attendees: 26

Action Item Summary

No action items.

Proposal Summary

No proposals.

Attendance